Tip: The 32-Bit/64-Bit Memory Crash Course
Some people mistakenly expect that switching from a 32-bit to 64-bit system doubles the speed of a machine. Thats not quite true, but there are some significant advantages:
- 64-bit systems can access more than 17 billion GB of system memory, compared to only 4 GB for a 32-bit system.
- 64-bit systems allow data to be processed in larger chunks, increasing efficiency.
- 64-bit systems address or point to more locations at once, improving multitasking.
- While many software applications are 32-bit, new processors are typically 64-bit.
- Most 32-bit applications work fine on 64-bit Windows, though antivirus programs and device drivers can be incompatible.