Goals & Performance
Setting corporate responsibility goals and tracking our performance is one of our most important functions. It gives our company and our stakeholders the information and tools needed to make critical decisions today and tomorrow. See some of our ongoing and long-term goals below, and view performance information to the right.
Through aggressive goal setting; participation in the ENERGY STAR Battle of the Buildings and other initiatives, Staples is leading the charge for more sustainable and energy-efficient buildings.
- Deepen associate community engagement by increasing awareness of and participation in local volunteer opportunities.
- Increase associate involvement in Staples’ philanthropic initiatives.
- Focus support on local organizations to maximize impact in communities.
- Sell more sustainable products and services.
- Continue to improve sourcing, identification and the promotion of greener products to customers.
- Reduce the use of outbound packaging materials in the U.S. by 20 percent by 2020 from a 2011 baseline.
- Offer easy customer recycling solutions.
- By 2020, recycle 100 million ink and toner cartridges each year across all operations.
- By 2020, recycle 40 million pounds of eWaste each year globally.
- Eliminate operational waste.
- Reduce waste to landfills by 25 percent globally by 2020 with 2010 as a baseline.
- Maximize energy efficiency and renewable energy.
- Reduce the electrical intensity of our global operations by 25 percent by 2020 from a 2010 baseline.
- Ensure that 50 percent of our active locations in the U.S. achieve ENERGY STAR® registration by 2020.
- Improve Staples' U.S. fleet fuel economy 15 percent from the 2010 baseline by 2015.
- Reduce global carbon emissions by 50 percent by 2020 from a 2010 baseline.
- Continue to increase the visibility and brand of the Global Ethics & Compliance Office and ethics program both domestically and internationally.
- Implement a global training platform (online) that will provide easy access to existing and new training programs.
- Continue to strengthen our FCPA/Anti-Corruption Program with an emphasis on our High Growth Markets.
- Support the Chief Culture Officer in the successful implementation of his ethics-related objectives.
Diversity & Inclusion
- Increase underrepresented minorities at our corporate headquarters. Our intention is to create a talent pipeline by hiring more diverse college interns and seasoned professionals to join the ranks of the talented team already in place at Staples.
- Creating strategic partnerships to employ more Veterans and to launch a Veterans Associate Resource Group to help us identify additional ways that Staples can support the heroic men and women who serve or have served in our Armed Forces.
- Score a 100 percent rating on the Corporate Equality Index administered by the Human Rights Campaign.