Get a Staples eCash Card when you trade in your old technology in store or online.
- Bring it in – we’ll inspect your devices
- Get a quote – we’ll make you an offer
- Get paid – you’ll receive a Staples eCash Card to use on anything in store or online
- Get a quote – find out how much it’s worth
- Send it in – ship it to us for free
- Get paid – you’ll receive a Staples eCash Card via email to use on anything in store or online
Learn more about technology trade-in.
Ink and toner cartridge recycling
Recycle your empty ink and toner cartridges online or in store and get $2 back in Staples Rewards® for each one. So not only will you save on future purchases, but you can also feel good about reducing waste in our landfills.
Limit 10 cartridges per customer per month.
Free technology recycling
Bring in your old office technology products to your local Staples and we'll responsibly and securely recycle them at no cost to you — any brand, any condition, even if you purchased it somewhere else. See the chart below for accepted technology products.
We also offer mailback and pickup technology recycling solutions for large businesses with 20+ employees through our Staples Advantage® division.
Items accepted for free recycling*:
- Desktop and all-in-one computers
- Laptops, tablets, eReaders
- Desktop printers, copiers, scanners, faxes, multifunction devices
- UPS/battery backup devices (with or without included battery)
- Computer peripherals including mice, keyboards, modems, routers and computer speakers
- Small electronics including mobile phones, MP3 players/iPods, calculators, GPS devices, digital cameras, camcorders and cordless phones
- Digital projectors, CD/DVD/Blu-ray players, gaming devices, A/V receivers, video streaming devices, cable/satellite receivers
- External hard drives and small servers
- Rechargeable batteries (if 11 pounds or less)
Prohibited items not accepted for recycling:
- Floor model copiers and printers
- Large servers
- Large speakers or speaker systems
- Alkaline or lithium batteries (i.e., not rechargeable)
*Limit 6 items per customer per day. All brands of items are accepted regardless of where purchased. Staples® Copy & Print Shops do not accept electronics for recycling, but all other U.S. Staples locations accept electronics for free recycling. We strive to ensure data security in the recycling process — while our recycling partner erases or destroys hard drives and memory-containing devices, we encourage our customers to erase all personal data from their devices before recycling them. For computers, you can try the free software programs DBAN or Eraser. For mobile phones, check your user manual to get directions on implementing a factory reset. Store management has the right to refuse to accept items that may pose a health or safety risk (e.g., broken monitors not packed in a box, laptops with damaged batteries, etc.)
Staples is an e-stewards Enterprise, meaning we have committed to using certified e-Stewards® Recyclers wherever feasible to handle electronic materials we collect for recycling. Our main electronics recycling partner, Electronic Recyclers International (ERI), is already a certified e-Stewards® Recycler at all of their locations nationally. This means ERI facilities are audited and certified against stringent standards to utilize responsible e-waste recycling practices and protect the environment.
Refurbishing and recycling electronics helps extend the useful life of products and reusable parts, captures valuable metals and plastics for reuse in new products, and keeps toxic materials out of landfills and incinerators. More than 20 states in the U.S. have introduced legislation mandating electronics waste recycling. To learn more about electronics recycling laws and programs where you live, visit ERI's summary of e-waste legislation by state. You can also visit Earth911.com or 1800Recycling.com to learn how and where to recycle items that Staples cannot accept.
Rechargeable battery recycling
Bring your old rechargeable batteries to your local Staples for free recycling. All collected batteries are responsibly recycled by
We accept all rechargeable battery types that weigh less than 12 pounds. Lithium and alkaline batteries are not accepted.