- J. C. R. Licklider introduces the idea of an intergalactic computer network.
- John McCarthy suggests that one day computing could be sold as a utility, like electricity or water.
- Salesforce starts delivering applications to users via a simple website.
- Amazon launches Amazon Web Services, offering online storage and computation.
- The Elastic Compute Cloud becomes the first truly commercial service (open to all).
Google Apps and other browser-based cloud enterprises cement cloud computing as a valid option for everyday users.