Reduce, reuse and recycle
- Conduct a waste audit that will help focus efforts and determine which waste items can be reduced through simple changes or recycling.
- Speak with your building manager about setting up a recycling program at the office if your company doesn't already have one. For items that may not be accepted by regular recycling providers, such as ink and toner cartridges, electronics and batteries, find off-site recycling resources at earth911.com
- Place recycling bins next to all trash bins.
- To reduce paper use, print only what is necessary, make double-sided printing the default on all office computers, reduce document margins to fill page space, and reuse scrap paper whenever possible. And whenever possible, distribute company publications electronically.
- Use eco-conscious paper options for printing and copying. Look for post-consumer recycled content or agricultural waste fiber content of 30% or more, or paper that is certified by the Forest Stewardship Council.
Learn more about our recycling services.
Green your breakrooms and bathrooms
- Replace your traditional cleaning products with eco-conscious alternatives that have credible third-party certifications.
- Purchase paper, cleaning products and utensils containing recycled materials or those that have Forest Stewardship Council certification. You can also consider purchasing reusable plates, cups and silverware for your breakroom.
- Install low-flow faucets and toilets to reduce water usage. Encourage employees to drink water from reusable glasses and bottles, rather than disposable water bottles. And use tap water or install a water filter.
- Purchase coffee and other food items with third-party certifications, like organic milk and creamer, Fair Trade-certified teas and Rainforest Alliance-certified coffees.
- When planning events, use reusable serving ware when possible or recycled paper products when needed. Minimize waste from meal packaging and serve accompaniments and condiments in bulk containers to reduce waste from individual serving packets.
Check out our exclusive line of quality eco-conscious products Sustainable Earth by Staples™
Greener state of mind
Check out some of these helpful Web sites for more resources and tips about bringing a greener lifestyle into your home and office.
Even the smallest changes can add up to a big impact. Check out some of the calculators below to see how your actions can help lead to a more sustainable environment.
Calculate the environmental impact of your recycled paper choices.
Calculate and offset your office emissions.
Calculate the benefits of recycling and waste-reduction efforts at your company.
Calculate the impacts of energy and fuel use and the savings from reducing both.
Even your printer choice has an impact. See the benefits of choosing a better solution.
Learn the benefits of recycling and determine the volume of recyclables generated based on your number of employees.
Calculate the area of land that you need to support your lifestyle based on where you live, driving habits, eating habits and more.